Art Trail of the Kennebunks
Take a walk on the Kennebunks' creative side this summer as part of the Art Trail of the Kennebunks, a collaboration of 21 local art galleries and organizations.
The public is invited to take free, self-guided tours of our local art galleries, studios and organizations in Kennebunk, Kennebunkport and Arundel. Participating galleries will open their studios from 5 to 7 p.m. Fridays, Aug. 9, Sept. 13 and Dec. 6.
Participating galleries include Sally Caldwell Fisher Pop-Up Gallery, Blue Whale Trading Company, The Center, Sue Rioux Designs, Lively Accents, Maine Art Gallery, Phosart Photography, JAK Designs, Art Guild of the Kennebunks -"Exploring Creative Expression..., Wendy Webster Good Fine Art, Rusty Fly Gallery & Gift, Landmark Gallery, Chris Becker Photo Gallery, Kennebunk Free Library, Brick Store Museum, The Art CO-OP, Kelly Jo Shows - Fear No Art, Wade Zahares Gallery, Arundel Farm Gallery and The Wright Gallery.
The idea is to showcase the diversity of high-quality artisans working in our community and create an open invitation for our community into these galleries. A printed brochure and map highlighting the 20+ local galleries will also serve as a resource for self-guided tours during regular business hours the rest of the month.
The Art Trail of the Kennebunks is made possible by the generous sponsorship of The Historic Inns of Kennebunkport (1802 House Bed & Breakfast, Captain Jefferds Inn, Captain Lord Mansion, Inn at English Meadows, the Maine Stay Inn and the Waldo Emerson Inn) as well as Alisson's, H.B. Provisions, Hurricane, Pedro's and Old Vines.
For information, call The Chamber at 967-0857 or visit gokennebunks.com.
1. SALLY FISHER POP-UP GALLERY: 149 Port Road, Lower Village, Kennebunk. (207) 841-8899. An extensive collection of originals and prints by a well-known New England artist.
2. BLUE WHALE TRADING COMPANY: 155 Port Road, Lower Village, Kennebunk. (207) 204-0781. Family-owned business featuring locally sourced pieces, custom-made furniture, and New England artisans’ hand-crafted collections.
3. THE CENTER: 175 Port Road, Lower Village Kennebunk. (207) 967-8514. Showcasing a collection of paintings and other work by accomplished Center artists.
4. SUE RIOUX DESIGNS: 180 Port Road, Lower Village, Kennebunk. (207) 229-7017. Sue Rioux Designs is a working studio and gallery creating limited-edition and one-of-a-kind glass kaleidoscopes.
5. LIVELY ACCENTS: 180 Port Road, Lower Village, Kennebunk. (207) 204-0701. Wire wrapping with the selection of colors to make a one-of-a-kind pendants, earrings and bracelets.
6. MAINE ART HILL: 14 Western Ave., 5 & 10 Chase Hill Road, Kennebunk. maine-art.com / (207) 967-2803. 9 galleries, 21 weekly pop-ups, 45 artists, 8 shows and a brand new
tasting room by Sweetgrass Winery & Distillery. Open year round.
7. PHOSART PHOTOGRAPHY + FINE ART: 5 Chase Hill Road, Lower Village Kennebunk. (207) 590-8087. Tucked up on Maine Art Hill, Donna Kabay’s gallery features her photographs on fine art paper, some also further developed with acrylic, watercolor, or encaustic paints.
8. JAK DESIGNS: 25 Dock Square, Kennebunkport. (207) 204-0396. One-of-a-kind artisan gallery. featuring hand-loomed knitwear by Jen and Tanya. Featured artist 5-9 during Art Trail.
9. ART GUILD OF THE KENNEBUNKS: Summer group shows at the Community House,
Temple Street, Kennebunkport. Opening receptions held on Village Art Walk nights.
10. WENDY WEBSTER GOOD FINE ART, THE PORT GALLERY: 11 Ocean Ave., Kennebunkport. (207) 229-3167. “The Port” offers a unique collection of “local made” arts and crafts and featuring works of art. The gallery has monthly shows featuring local artists.
11. RUSTY FLY GALLERY & GIFT: 24 Ocean Ave., Kennebunkport. (508) 982-5398. Gallery featuring the original paintings of Captain Peter Sheppard, former saltwater fly fishing guide, as well as artisanal gifts including jewelry, sculpture, textiles, and souvenirs.
12. LANDMARK GALLERY: 31 Ocean Ave., Kennebunkport. (207) 967-0020. Representational art gallery in a restored firehouse specializing in original, one-of-a-kind marine subjects, plus landscapes and florals, sculpture, hand-crafted jewelry and other unique items.
13. CHRIS BECKER PHOTO: 127 Ocean Ave., Kennebunkport. (207) 967-0069. Art gallery featuring contemporary fine art photography. Open edition prints and large limited-edition works in museum quality production available.
14. KENNEBUNK FREE LIBRARY: 112 Main St., Kennebunk. (207) 985-2173. Permanent collection of Children’s Illustration Gallery and monthly rotating artists.
15. BRICK STORE MUSEUM: 117 Main St., Kennebunk. (207) 985-4802. Exploring the wonders of history and the arts at the heart of the Kennebunks since 1936.
16. THE ART CO-OP AT SACRED NEW BEGINNINGS: 149 Alfred Road, Kennebunk. (207) 502-7118. Collaborative art studio featuring colorful, abstract scenes of Maine and beach stone jewelry.
17. ARTIST KJ SHOWS: 145 Alfred Road, Kennebunk. (415) 730-1791. Kelly Jo mainly paints with traditional oil ... but there’s nothing traditional about this artist, who has a thing for shoes and cute animals.
18. WADE ZAHARES GALLERY: 314 Alewive Road, Lyman. (207) 499-2485. Artist and illustrator Wade Zahares’ studio features whimsical pastel landscapes, children’s books, local scenes and more.
19. ARUNDEL FARM GALLERY: 76 Arundel Road, Arundel. (561) 702-6396. Located on a beautiful country property just 1.5 miles from Dock Square, the antique farmhouse, carriage house and far barn features 3 gallery spaces.
20. THE WRIGHT GALLERY: 5 Pier Road, Kennebunkport. (207) 967-5053. Located in picturesque Cape Porpoise. Fine art, coastal-inspired gifts, antiques, jewelry, decor and more.
OTHER AREA STUDIOS/GALLERIES (only open during regular hours and/or by appointment)
21. BECOMING JEWELRY: 22 Main St., Unit B, Kennebunk. Meaningful sterling silver and gold filled jewelry, including custom jewelry, hand-made in Kennebunk. Open during regular business hours.
22. DANIE CONNOLLY STUDIO: 139 Summer St., Kennebunk. (207) 985-8888. Author, illustrator, photographer invites you into her whimsical world! (and serious paintings as well.)
23. DAWN BURNS ART STUDIO: 185 Western Ave., Lower Village, Kennebunk. (207) 227-6166. Specializing in custom pet portraits, hand-painted gifts and keepsakes, private event paint parties and art lessons.
24. DIANNA ANDERSON STUDIO: Kennebunk. (207) 651-1043 / By appointment only, check out the home studio and work in progress of this plein air painter that express nature’s visual poetry.
25. MAINE HOME PORTRAIT ARTIST: (207) 289-4421. Artist Diane Lent paints from your photographs and re-creates your great memory with paper and paint.
26. KENNEBUNK ART STUDIO: (207) 590-7762. Features art of Steve Hrehovcik. Commissions for portraits, homes, equestrian & pets, book illustrations, caricatures and maps. Works in pen & ink, acrylics, pastel, colored pen and pencil.
27. MANNA SILKS & KEVIN MOFFATT ART: (802) 236-4368. Artist Kevin Moffatt custom designs each and prints each scarf on the finest quality Habotai silk fabrics. Kevin’s acrylic flow paintings may be seen on the walls at Christian’s Cafe during regular business hours.
28. MAST COVE GALLERIES: 1 Mast Cove Lane, Kennebunkport. (207) 967-3453. Celebrating its 40th year, this group gallery features works by 76 artists located in Kennebunkport’s historic section, one block from town.
29. MEADOWLARK DESIGNS: 143 Walker Road, Lyman. (207) 467-5532. This woodworking studio and showroom features artisan furniture by designer/maker Peter Brown, generally open during the week 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. or by appointment.
30. MORPH GALLERY & EMPORIUM: 155 Port Road, Lower Village, Kennebunk. (207) 967-2900. Paint, print, fabric, clay / Writings (are authors artists?) / Morph - offering more.
31. MW PHOTOGRAPHIC: 3 Trackside Drive, Kennebunk. (917) 834-8346. Michael D. Wilson photographs people in an attempt to capture their most human moments.
32. NEEDLEPOINT AMERICA: 173 Port Road, Kennebunk, Original hand-painted needlepoint designs and styles from pillows to rugs, belts and frames, basket covers, eyeglass cases, and stockings.
33. OLD BAGZZ: (207) 286-7262. Originally designed and handmade bags made from vintage, recycled and original fabrics and trims.
34. RIVER TREE ARTS: 35 Western Ave., Lower Village, Kennebunk. (207) 967-9120. The area’s oldest nonprofit community arts center is home to a vibrant art & gift gallery and offers programs, classes & events.
35. ROBERT A. DENNIS PHOTOGRAPHY: Capturing Kennebunkport in every mood and every season, plus its most famous residents.
36. MARK PIZZA ART: Limited series and one-of-a-kind photographic pieces printed on metal, acrylic and canvas.